Friday, June 10, 2011

Ballband Dishcloth

I've decided that I like knitting dishcloths. They are great little projects to have in between the big ones and they are so straightforward. They knit up so quickly that I'm done before I get bored of knitting one. Plus I think that these homemade dishcloths work better than the terry cloth ones that you can get at a store.

Ballband dishcloth
I love the little brick pattern, and the colors? Oh so many possibilities!

Materials needed:
Size 7 needles
Peaches and Creme (or any 100% cotton yarn): One ball of each color A (brown) color B (eggplant)
Finished size: Approx. 9 1/4" x 9 3/4"

YF=Yarn Front
YB- Yarn Back

Directions:
Cast on 45 stitches with color A (When asked to slipstitch, do so purlwise)
Row 1: (Color A) Knit
Row 2: (Color A) Purl
Row 3: (Color B) K4 Slip1 *K5 Slip1* continue between * across to last 4 stitches, K5
Row 4: (Color B) K4 YF Slip 1 YB *K5 YF Slip1 YB *Continue between * across to last 4 stitches, K4
Row 5: (Color B) P4 YB Slip 1 YF *P5 YB Slip ! YF* Continue between * across to last 4 sts, P4
Row 6: (Color B) Repeat Row 4
Row 7: (Color A) Knit
Row 8: (Color A) Purl
Row 9: (Color B) K1 Slip 1 *K5 Slip 1* Continue between * across to 1 sts, K1
Row 10: (Color B) K1 YF Slip 1 YB *K5 YF Slip 1 YB* Continue between * across to 1 sts, K1
Row 11: (Color B) P1 YB Slip 1 YF *P5 YB Slip1 YF* Continue between* across to 1 sts, P1
Row 12: (Color B) Repeat Row 10

Repeat 12 rows until desired length is reached finishing with rows 12. For a more varied effect, switch colors when desired.

Bind off loosely.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Vera makes these for me and they are the best! Can't go back to regular ones now. You amaze me with your skills!

T Fowler said...

I think this is a project that I could tackle to get back into knitting. As easy as you make it sound, I'll still be bugging you with lots of questions!